We are committed to providing patients with exceptional mental health services. The following information is to acquaint you with our practice policies and procedures.
- Please call the office to schedule appointments. Our staff will be happy to answer any questions regarding scheduling, insurance issues/coverage, fees, or other concerns.
In addition, please verify your coverage and participation with your health insurance plan.
- In Person Appointments: Please arrive at least 15 minutes early for your appointment.
Telehealth Appointments: Please arrive 5 minutes ahead of your virtual appointment.
- Currently, due to COVID-19, we are only scheduling Virtual Appointments.
- Please make sure we have your most recent phone number on file to ensure appointment reminders.
- Rescheduling: Please be sure to call at least 24 hours in advance to cancel or reschedule your appointment. Failure to comply with this policy will result in a $ 40.00 charge. Insurance does not pay for missed appointments.
- Appointment reminder: automatic robot calls are attempted as a courtesy to you, however it is your responsibility to keep track of your appointment dates and times.
- Follow up appointments: we recommend that you schedule your follow up appointment right after your current appointment to ensure you have a timely follow up appointment for medication refills.
- Provider schedules: Please be aware that provider schedules fill quickly, therefore please schedule your follow up appointments promptly.
- The providers work hard to stay close to the appointment schedule but do recognize urgent situations can arise during office hours.
- We require annual HIPAA and compliance forms to be completed and signed by you.
There are psychiatric problems which necessitate use of multiple specialties for appropriate treatment. If you have one of these problems, it is essential to your care that your provider can communicate with the other providers involved in your care. This may include therapists, dietitians, primary care providers and family members. Your authorization is necessary to be able to include and to coordinate your health care.
Disability Forms and Letters:
- Gaertner Psychiatric will respond and complete appropriate disability forms received directly from the organization handling your disability request.
- Forms will not be backdated.
- Your form must be complete with your information, your signature and date, prior to sending to office staff for completion.
- Forms and letters may take up 14 to 21 business days to complete.
- After the completion of your form or letter, we will forward directly to your claims processing department and not released back to the patient. Please make sure we have the correct contact information.
- There is a $40.00 charge for completion of forms and letters.
Emergencies: After Hours
- If you have an emergency, call 911 and
should you have an EMERGENCY, please go the hospital emergency room.
- To obtain your medical records, you must complete and submit the “Authorization for Release of Records” form, signed by you. This form will need a provider’s approval. See Patient access; restrictions; appeal clause.
- There is a fee for the copies and processing of records for personal use.
- To send your medical records to another provider, physician, or facility, please complete and submit the “Authorization for Release of Records” form that will be sent directly to your requested facility at no charge.
- Please allow reasonable time to process your request. Typical requests are processed within 10 business days. We will contact you in the event unforeseen delays or difficulty processing your request.
- Records will be mailed to the address specified on the authorization form. You may make arrangements with the medical records staff if you would like to pick them up. For security reasons, you will be asked to provide a state or federally issued photo ID to pick up records.
Patient access; restrictions; appeal
Sec. 4. A patient is entitled to inspect and copy the patient’s own mental health record. However, if the provider that is responsible for the patient’s mental health records determines for good medical cause, upon the advice of a physician, that the information requested under this section is detrimental to the physical or mental health of the patient, or is likely to cause the patient to harm the patient or another person, the provider may withhold the information from the patient. If the provider is a state institution or agency, the patient may appeal the provider’s refusal to permit the patient to inspect and copy the patient’s own record under IC 4-21.5.
- I understand that a medication agreement is essential to trust and confidence necessary in a provider/patient relationship and my provider includes treatment based on this agreement.
- Prescriptions are provided through electronic, fax or sometimes written means at the time of your appointment with sufficient refills, if necessary, to last until your next appointment.
- Refills of prescriptions will not be called in or mailed for missed appointments. If by chance you are going to run out before your follow up appointment, please call the office or your pharmacy.
- It may take 72 hours for a refill request to be reviewed.
- There will be no refills after hours or on weekends.
- SAMPLES are a courtesy for patients, but we have a limited supply, thus cannot guarantee we will have samples of your medications. If cost is an issue, please talk with your provider regarding this concern.
- Prescriptions for controlled substances will be made only at the time of office appointment. ADD medications, some sleep medications, and benzodiazepines (example: alprazolam/xanax, lorazepam/ativan) by regulation, we are unable to fill early refills.
- I understand that the provider will utilize the Prescription Monitoring System to monitor controlled medication use and if it is found I am obtaining these medications from multiple providers, it is grounds for immediate dismissal from Gaertner Psychiatric, PC.
- I recognize my medications are my responsibility and I must safeguard them from loss or theft. I understand lost or stolen medications will not be replaced.
- This practice does not do pain management. You will need to see your primary care provider or specialist for pain medications.
Non-Emergency: After Hours
- Non- Emergency calls will be dispatched to our answering service during non- business hours and on weekends.
- For existing practice patients, we provide a Psychiatric Nurse to cover urgent (non-emergency) calls through the answering service.
- All other messages will be routed to the office during normal business hours.
No Show Policy:
- Patients should call at least 24 hours in advanced to cancel and or reschedule their appointment. Failure to comply with this policy will result in a fee of $40.00 for the missed appointment. (NO SHOW) Insurance does not pay for missed appointments. It is the patient’s responsibility.
- Two missed appointments will require a patient letter of notification to be mailed to the patient.
- Three or more missed appointments may discontinue services by the provider’s request.
Termination of Treatment:
- Frequent missed or cancelled appointments may result in termination from Gaertner Psychiatric practice.
- Termination of treatment by a Gaertner Psychiatric, PC provider will be provided in writing by mailed by certified letter, US Mail.
To treat you as a “whole person” and not just a diagnosis.
To assist you in your overall mental health.
To provide you with psychiatric care and medication management.
To provide you psychiatric medical care that you can trust.
To provide you with inpatient and outpatient care and support.